Monday, May 30, 2005

Odd/Inappropriate Childhood Memories #1

Announcing a new feature at VanderMeander: Odd/Inappropriate Childhood Memories. My childhood is filled with (too) many odd or inappropriate actions mostly done by myself (just ask b-1), and some which I experienced, but had the good fortune to not have caused. So, I've decided to start this feature, which will make for easy posting, when I'm too busy to think of something deep or original. Perhaps I could have a moral to go along with each memory.

Odd/Inappropriate Childhood Memory Moral #1:
Do not daily expose your children to soap operas.


When I was a kid I dropped out of preschool/daycare (see story in O/I CM #2 to come), and so the days that were not spent at my mom's bookstore and dad's law office were spent at my grandparent's house -- a cute old home with green trim and the most amazing garden. My granny and I did a lot of snuggling in the big beige chair that was half broken and would squeak everytime we'd rock in it. We watched The Price is Right, Mr. Dress-up. I'd try to quickly skip past channel 8 when 100 Huntley Street would come on, lest I be subjected to an hour of that... And like clockwork my granny would watch The Young and the Restless everyday. I was always quite bored during this time and would play and roam around, but sometimes I'd watch with her and always wondered why she would, out of the blue, change the channel at certain times during the show.

However, it seems that she did not always change the channel in time, because one day while we were watching TV (I was probably about 5 or 6) I said, very innocently and sincerely, "Granny I love you" and then proceeded to start "necking" my granny like they did on the soaps. To which granny quickly pushed me off and said "Dixie, you shouldn't kiss like that..."

I don't know how many years it was until I realized what I had done. Probably around the same time I realized why she'd change the channel during The Young and the Restless!

5 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me it wasn't The Young and the Restless, it was All My Children. I remember Erica Caine from a very young age. Never tried necking my Grandma though...

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THAT is seriously disturbing; but highly amusing at the same time :)
I'm not sure if I, personally, would have ever repeated that story to a living soul if it were me....but keep up the humour. I seriously needed it today!!! thanks

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Dixie Vandersluys said...

Well, it wasn't anything GRAPHIC, just kissing her neck until she told me to stop (which was right away).

My mom told me tonight I should be careful what I say on here...!

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moms, aye? They can be so funny when it comes to the "be careful what you do/say/think/eat/etc" thing.
For me, it was The Price is Right, followed by TY&TR, which Mom watched faithfully EVERY day. I know the characters by heart and still to this day am tempted to turn it on for a few minutes - all it takes to figure out the last 5 years of "plot".

 
At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The PRICE IS RIGHT - hilarious - me to. My grandpa actually taped it - there's still VHS tapes kicking around with it on them. I can't believe its still going - or maybe its repeats by now... But its THE SAME! Joe Blow - COME ON DOWN!! The energy was so crazy there. I liked Plunk-it. And the spin the wheel thing at the end. Or the guess the price of the item game. fun stuff. The "models" or whatever they were - were pretty bimboish - I still remember the one named Janet, wonder what she went on to??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home