Thursday, June 02, 2005

Morning Mother Musings

Marc phoned just after 11am to see how my morning was going, and if Madeline's mood had cheered up from her grumpy-whininess of 8am. I said that she was fine, and confessed that I had slept in until 10am and was still in my pyjamas, having just finished getting the kids fed, changed and dressed for the day. I sat down to read the mail and the Lung Association came by to canvas. So there I am in my pyjamas with no bra holding Luke, and Madeline rambling on to the man about the rain storm and how she had to run to her bed to get out of the storm and on and on...

I managed to give him a cheque without too much crying from Luke, although he was slowly sliding out of his chair. I could tell it was time for Luke to go down for his sleep, but when I put him in his crib he started crying like he was in a bit of pain. I told Madeline to go pick out a story from her room and we'd all read it in Luke's room. She comes back with a book of quotations on motherhood with pictures of moms with their kids. About halfway into it Luke finally barfs all over my arm and onto his shirt, but he's still not settled. Luckily one more little barf would settle him. However in the middle of this we reached the page in the book where a little girl is upside down in the grass, and Madeline always turns it upside down to look at her. However, today she decided to turn to the "next" page with it still upside down. So we went back to the page we were just on, and then she turned the book the right way up to look at that picture, but then turned to go to the next page and low and behold there's the upside down girl again! So she turns it over again, and then turns to the "next" page again. Well this went on about 6 or 7 times, all the while Luke was either fidgety-crying or barfing on me, and Madeline insisting that I "read it mommy!" those two pages over and over again...

And I'm still in my pyjamas...

3 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you're not chained to a desk in a basement with no windows and no pictures wondering what's going on "up there" out in the real world while you alternate your stares between the computer and the clock - hopeing for that magic moment of 5:00 to come along. I WISH I was still in my pajamas. Minus the grouchy, puky, children mind you!!! But consider yourself lucky girl... :)

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Dixie Vandersluys said...

Actually, this morning wasn't a BAD morning, it's just that I would have liked to have gotten a little more done around the house and maybe not answered the door with no bra on.

After Luke stopped puking, Madeline was standing by his little stereo trying to teach herself the song that was playing, and I looked at Luke and Madeline and almost started crying b/c I realized how special these kinds of moments are, and how the kids are going to grow up too fast.

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if it was a fella who came to your door - maybe you made his day!? (haha) My "kids" are cats, at least you can expect a longer life expectancy out of them than me. I am SURE to outlive my cats. I often sit and think, wow you are 5, that means your life is like 1/3 over...and in about 10 years from now I will be a very miserable mother :*( {a cat's life expectancy is only about 15 years I think give or take a few} You probably can't relate the same or are thinking "this chick is nuts to compare cats to kids" but for me that is my reality....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home