Friday, June 03, 2005

Odd/Inappropriate Childhood Memories #2

Today's moral is:
Recognize that toddlers can be keenly aware of social injustice... at least towards themselves.


My parents (well, really my mom) took over a Christian bookstore when I was about 2 or 3 years old. As a result, they tried to put me in daycare or preschool for a few days a week so that I wouldn't be wandering all over the place during the day.

In my memory I think I only went to the daycare for a few days total. And I'm sure that by the first day I was aware of the injustice of it all. We were forced to lay on exercise mats and sleep at the will and whim of the daycare owner. Now, I think this happens in every daycare, but... at this day care the owner's son did not have to take a nap, but instead got to play Lego. (For all I know, the son may have been a few years older than me and that's why he didn't have to nap -- he was just hanging out at the daycare.)

I was enraged and told my parents that I would not be returning to that daycare unless I was treated the same way as the owner's son and would not have to take a nap. Well I must have been quite fiesty about it all, because I didn't have to go back.

So instead I spent my days either kissing my granny inappropriately, or asking the customers at my mom's store, in my 2 year old voice, "can I help you find anything?", or hiding in the closet or colouring underneath my dad's desk at his law office ease-dropping on his appointments.

That's right. I'm a daycare/preschool drop-out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home