Thursday, September 22, 2005

What translation are YOU reading?

Madeline's latest obsession is David and Goliath. She's had a David & Goliath story book on her headboard for a month or two now and for about that long she's been able to tell us the story herself, saying "Israelites", "Philistines" and all. Sometimes I've thought that the story was a bit too graphic with the allusion to Goliath having his head chopped off, etc. But she seems to get more scared at the new Winnie the Pooh movie than any Bible story she's heard.

My mom lent her a David and Goliath 'Bugtime Adventures' dvd -- which tells the story and parallels it with some insects living in the dirt on the battlefied with their own set of problems. She's been watching that the past few days and it has inspired her to act out the David and Goliath with her and I taking turns as either David and Goliath. (The second time she did this I was in the shower and she came in, pullled back the curtain and asked me to be David. Luckily when she asked me to be Goliath I could use the falling down dead from the stone as an excuse to put my head back and under the water to rinse my conditioner.)

She'll use anything from a rope to a cloth belt to Luke's soother clip as her sling with stones and will whip it around and release at the appropriate time. My favourite thing is the funny, shy look she gets on her face when she thinks of something for her character to say, and the little cricked mouth she gets before she coyly says it. Such phrases include Goliath saying "Coward!! You'll never kill me!" and David saying "I'm going to shut you and all the Philistines!!"

So, I knew she knew the story and we've had fun acting out the story (several times a day). This morning she wanted to play it again, and I had Luke on my lap so I decided that he could be my character. I stood him up on my lap and held out his arms as he proclaimed "I am Goliath!!! Grrrr! Who are you little boy?" We went back and forth switching characters, and we were all having fun... until the second time she played Goliath.

Luke had his sling all ready and had just proclaimed that even though he was just a little shepherd boy, God was with him and that Goliath and the Philistines would never win. He had just begun the swinging of the sling, when Goliath began to approach at a rapid pace "air sword" in hand. David swung faster and had just released the stone when Goliath began thrusting his sword into David's chest repeatedly proclaiming "It's time for you to die!!"

Oh well... David won the next time.

1 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, re-enacting biblical stories in the bathtub opens up whole new possibilities for Noah's Ark.

There have been a couple times when my own son has tried to bring the 'Poo Monster' on board, two-by-two.

This has resulted in me, acting as God, getting all vengeful, cleansing the Earth (tub) of all my son wrought and then re-flooding the Earth with a stern admonition that there's a reason we don't have Poo Monsters on Earth today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home