Thursday, October 06, 2005

Bride & Prejudice

Marc and I had a movie night last night. Meaning, I watched a girlie movie in bed and he watched "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in the basement. $0.99 at Shopper's Drugmart, you can't go wrong with that. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We don't normally watch separate movies, but neither one of us had any real interest in the other one's movie. And don't feel bad that I didn't get the big screen and the stereo sound, for there is no place I would rather watch tv than in bed. Man I love my bed. I think I spent the majority of Madeline's first 3 months of life in bed. Did everything in bed. She even ate pablum for the first time propped up on a pillow in our bed. I definitely take the love of my bed too far sometimes, but I have been emerging from my bedroom a lot more this past year, so don't worry.

I had to do a quick baby food run to Walmart before Marc and I settled in for our "separate movies" date. And it was there that I learned the struggle of Paul's words in Romans where he says "what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do". I was greatly anticipating curling up in bed and watching this movie with the lights out. And snacks are pretty much mandatory to enjoying a movie. So there I was in Walmart with McDonalds but 20 steps away. However, Marc and I had just talked about how eating out was the one thing we definitely needed to cut back on, and he had told me to buy just what we needed at Walmart. (Which by the way I did, no scouring of the children's clothing sale racks this time.) So I was fully prepared to walk out of Walmart with no McDonalds. Until I got to the exit and someone was eating fries right by the door, and I got a whiff. All the way to the car I debated. "Now I'm really craving McDonalds, but it never tastes as good as you think it will. It will go straight to my hips, and will be a $5.00 withdrawal on our bank statement that is a waste... but it tastes sooo good. But I need something to eat during the movie and we don't really have any snacks at home..." I drove the long way out of the parking lot, so I could drive right by the other McDonalds (yes, we do have 2 McDonalds within the same parking lot complex in PA... sad, really). And I had self control. But I didn't like it. I even thought of going home, asking Marc, and then driving to Wendy's or something. But instead I got a glass of water and our last strawberry Fruit-to-go and went to watch my movie. Pathetic. I know. About 15 minutes into the movie I was so disgusted with having no snack that I made a bag of microwave popcorn, sprinkled chocolate chips on it (my piano student's suggestion -- quite good), took half to Marc, and enjoyed the other half in bed during the movie... though not as much as I would have enjoyed McDonalds. (So, do you think I should have just got the McDonalds instead of "depriving" myself to the point where I wasn't enjoying my movie? Did I over analyze the situation way more than any normal person would?)

Anyway, so I watched Bride and Prejudice. It was not bad. Not super. But not bad. I mean how can you even compare to the A & E 6 hour special? And as Marc said last night (Marc, not me... though I couldn't disagree), how good can it be with no Colin Firth. And it's true. Though William Darcy in B & P looks strikingly similar to my optometrist, there was not the same heart fluttering attachment that Colin Firth brings. But I must say I loved all of the Indian culture. It reminded me of why I want to be Hindu or Muslim every Saturday when I catch glimpses of their programming on Vision network. I loved all the dancing and the family interaction. The way they adapted the story was pretty good. But I couldn't stand that they broke into beyond lame songs, turning it into a musical, with the cheesy head nods, shoulder shrugs, and furrowed brows. Worth $0.99. Maybe a video store-price rental. Definitely not theatre worthy. And I'd only buy it if I saw it for $5.00 somewhere -- and just because I love Indian culture so much and not for its cinematic merit.

4 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Blogger Love Mom said...

I thought that that was rather bizzare that you were eating popcorn with chocolate chips until I read a bit further down. She actually had that as a snack tonight. I, personally, like to eat movie theater popcorn accompanied by rolo candy bar...I don't mix them in the carton but take a mouthful of popcorn and chase it with a rolo candy piece or vice versa...yummy...popcorn, salt, butter, chocolate and carmel...pretty much paradise...lol

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger becky said...

I liked Bride and Prejudice, too. That opening dance scene, at the wedding, took a couple weeks to film!

(and I made Jerry watch it with me -- we haven't gotten to the separate movies, separate rooms of the house stage of our relationship ... yet!)

Hey, we're coming up to PA maybe this next weekend (14-16ish) to check out the leaves one afternoon. You two (er, four) want to meet for coffee or lunch?

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it with U & Mav & beds. That's her fave place 2!
I enjoy reading your blog. U R as wonderfully strange as ever.
Drop me a line @ pccpastor@accesscomm.ca
Luv B

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Linea said...

No one ever said that giving up our desires would be easy - even McDonalds. They make them to smell so good to hook us! They don't even taste as good as they smell. Resist, resist. It gets easier next time. I'm sure if must.





Except in bookstores.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home