Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Those Quarrelling Christians

Found this quote at Simian Farmer, one of my new favourite reads:

We do not want churches because they will teach us to quarrel about God.

~Chief Joseph

My first response was, "Hey that's really funny, and really true!"

Then I thought "But hey, people always fight about everything! How many debates on politics, mercy killing, the environment,
Survivor, etc. are going on right now at water coolers across the globe? Why is it okay for everyone else to quarrel, but not Christians? We are all just humans after all! Why are Christians expected to live beyond the normal standard?"

And then it hit me. Two things.

Firstly, people expect Christians to live up to higher expectations because the general Christian population these days says that they are living on a higher plane! Now, most Christians aren't, because they are constantly screwing up, but many are still claiming to have no problem ascribing to the more "noble" values & actions that Christians should have. And they're just lying. And that really bugs me. Let's be real people! Let's admit that we are in a constant struggle to do the right thing and we are constantly screwing up. Pretending that we are all high and mighty is going to do nothing but turn people away from the country club, phoney Christianity that permeates much of the Church right now. So this quote is true because (some/many) Christians pretend to have it all together when really we're just quarelling children like everybody else.

The second thing that hit me, is that it is not right to say "
Why are Christians expected to live beyond the normal standard?" And the answer of course is that we (in our minds -- though many in society don't see it) know or believe that we know God and that He calls us to live a better life -- a life of love, self-sacrifice, and giving (and not one of finger wagging and posh, padded pews). I was reminded of in the Bible where it talks about teachers, etc. being judged harsher because they know more/should know better. And it's the same for those who call themselves Christians. We have an idea of what we think is right, and we need to start focusing on us living according to that and admitting we constantly fall short, rather than quarelling with our fellow Christians, and especially those outside of the churh. We judge others way more harshly than they deserve and don't bat an eye at ourselves -- when we are the ones who are going to be judged the harshest by God! It's that whole "plank in the eye" chestnut. (So I guess I better stop judging my fellow Christians in this post and work on my own issues!!)

And that's why the quotation is so funny. Because it's so frustratingly true!

(Bet you didn't think all this would come out of that little quote, eh Simon?!)

3 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I didn't think so; but some wonderfully lucid commentary, Dixie!

I posted that one since I interpret it as meaning that defining God through the confines of any one church is just asking for trouble. In my own opinion, church as a collection of worshiping individuals is a very good thing; Church as the doctrine-spewing Mothership is a harmful thing. I've had enough 'my way or the highway' attitude foisted on me through my experience with the Catholic church that I haven't attended for the latter half of my life.

I consider myself a Christian insofar as I believe in Jesus and truly consider Him to be the Way, the Truth and the Life. But I certainly don't subscribe to most of what currently passes for church dogma.

I'd better stop. Religion is one of my favourite topics to discuss and debate (how can you prove to be the winner in any argument?), but it can also be pretty touchy for some folks.

OK, a lot of folks.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Stoopidgirl said...

I'm so happy to come accross a good post today while blogcrashing on my lunch break. I totally agree with you. I lived in the south (North Carolina) for 11 years where these people are quite common. The thing that always bugged me was how contradictory they are. My favorite was this very wealthy man in my town who every Easter would carry a very large wooden cross a mile or so in order to bare the burdon of Christ, all while wearing his nicely pressed bussiness suit. I always want to throw rocks at him to make it really worth the effort.

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Simon, actually I'm probably with the three of you.

I really am kicked by Pauls letter to the Galatians when he says;

"When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: ...the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group..."

Uh, yeah. Thanks Paul.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home