Thursday, September 29, 2005

"Take me where the loons are calling" (a Connie Kaldor reference no one will get) and Motherly Guilt

Picture yourself on a sandy beach on the shore of a beautiful Northern Saskatchewan lake in the Autumn. You are sitting on a large plaid blanket, wearing your favourite wool sweater which provides the perfect amount of warmth for this time of year. You've just put down one of your favourite novels and are sipping a hot beverage of your choice. The water is calm. The sun is slowly setting and its reflection on the lake is magnificent. Everything is still. Until you hear the gentle "whoo-ing" of a loon somewhere in the reeds. The sound is beautiful. The moment is beautiful. Life is good.

Now. Picture me. Around 2:30 this afternoon. Still in the bathrobe I have ventured to remove from my body for a total of 15 hours over the past 5 days (besides sleep). I am nursing a 24 pound 6 month old boy on my couch with the blinds wide open (luckily a large birch tree covers most of the window, so that the people getting their hair cut across the street don't get a free show along with their cut) who decides that a good way to nurse is to latch on for about 3 seconds and then fidget and look all around the room for the next 10. I am surrounded by a house that I have not been able to clean for the past 5 days because of the illness which I thought had gone away yesterday, but has now moved into my throat and chest. (This is also the reason for the bathrobe, though I must say I am known to stay in my pyjamas longer than most stay at home moms. Regular hygienic activities have remained constant throughout these days, however.) I look around a see piles of books and stacks of papers -- opened mail. Receiving blankets. Infant toys. A pile of hand-me down clothes from a friend. (BTW, thanks Ang!) Some Halloween face paint. Various piles of extremely small objects that my daughter enjoys playing with -- a Dora sticker here, a pile of rocks there, a Polly Pocket shoe, two tall candle holders fashioned to be a house for said Polly Pockets. A melange of shoes at the front door. A plastic bag.

When what noise do I hear from the stillness and serenity of this moment...? Why also the sound of a loon. Only it's not a loon. It's the whining of my 2.5 year old who has prematurely awoken from her afternoon nap -- like way too soon for a good day, let alone a day where I'm feeling like this. The noise repeats itself at intervals which themselves are annoying. (Seriously, she sounded exactly like a loon.) Finally she speaks. And various forms of "Mommy!" "Maaawwmmmmeee!" "Mommay!" emerge from behind her closed door. And I nearly, almost, was on the verge of... but didn't lose it. Praise the Lord that with just a few yells of "Go to sleep!" "Be quiet!" (not even major threats), she went back to sleep.

However, that was enough to bring on my third set of tears of the day (which was followed by a fourth set, upon recounting the situation to my mother). It's all just so tiring! And you know what's the most tiring of all? Not the housework. Not the breastfeeding. Not even the diapers or the whining. It's the motherly guilt that goes along with all of it. If I'm cleaning the house, I'm feeling guilty for not paying attention to the kids. If I'm playing with the kids and teaching them new things, I'm feeling guilty for the neglected dishes I will ask Marc to do when he gets home. If I'm feeling frustrated with the kids, I feel guilty because I know that I have good, calm kids for the most part. And if I'm feeling sad and frustrated about all of this , I'm feeling guilty because I know that all of this is just mundane, "no big deal" kind of stuff. I feel guilty that there are people I know (let alone in the rest of the world) going through major life crises right now, and I'm getting overwhelmed by the fact that there are countless toys under my bed and my bedside table is one big pile of papers, hair elastics, and a lone Barbie shoe. And right now, after venting (and doing the dishes and having both kids asleep in their beds), I feel better. My mind is cleared. I know I can do this and deal with them and the house. I know this is a time to be cherished, and that the time for going out into the world and helping others will come, when my children no longer need 24-7 watching. But I need to know how to get that perspective in the middle of the call of the afternoon loon, you know?!

8 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the Connie Kaldor reference Dixie...

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger polarpegs said...

Though I may not get the Connie Kaldor reference I so completely know how you are feeling. I had three kids in 3.5 years. Mykayla and Noah (the younger two) are only 12.5 months apart. sometimes the word 'overwhelming" is an understatement. All I can say is never feel guilty for letting the dishes go in the sink (unless they have been there for more than 4 days), Dishes will always be there and even now I have to choose to leave them to help the 9 year old with his homework, take the 6 year old to Tap class or help the 5 year old build a lego castle. But then I am the worst housekeeper in the world, it doesnt take much to convince me to NOT do housework.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know. I've come home to some pretty bizzare situations with the house upside down, three diapered babies wailing, and Lauralea sitting there crying too.

You are a great mom. I've seen it in your writing and in your home. The kids don't know it yet, but one day they will thank you for being there with them. And maybe that's all its about. Not how much you do with them, or learn or clean house, but that you are there with them. Today.

We don't encourage you stay at home moms enough. Sorry about that.

Thank you for staying home with them and effecting their lives and futures. Thank you for becoming experts at who they are, and who they are becoming. It's good and wonderful to have somebody who is an expert at who you are. It's reassuring when life gets rough, to have somebody to return to, who knows you so well. From that safe foundation you can touch the world with confidence, knowing that you are known.

It's hard sometimes, but thank you for your sacrifices. It will positively effect your family, and it will positively effect this community later on in life.

Hang in there. You are doing fine.

Loons and all.

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Love Mom said...

I can definitely relate to what you are saying about pay attention to kids and feel guilty about housework and vice versa. Been there, done that...still do. My bedroom looks like it was hit by a tornado, typhoon, hurricane and landslide and each time I go in there I say to myself...it is time to clean this room (it is my last priority) however, soon. I don't know if I will be able to close the door. I have Christmas presents piled in there, scrapbooking projects piled in there. However, something I have learned that helps take the guilt away as quickly as it tries to rear its ugly head is a little poem. It helps me because I realize how very true it is.

Cooking and cleaning can wait til tomorrow.
For babies grow up,we learn, to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep.
I am rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Bill, and I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, did not have a close relationship with his mom growing up. He wasn't allowed to play because he may get things dirty or wreck this or that. His mom's house was always immaculate though. I would rather a dirty house and a good relationship...

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the feeling very well about not having the time to sepnd with the kids.

I have to say you are doing well even if it does not seem like it. That is just your feelings at this point. Just keep looking to Jesus and eveything will work out for the children

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Dixie Vandersluys said...

Thanks everybody!! I'm definitely feeling better and have some perspective on it all now.

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would add my own words of encouragement, but I doubt I could top what's already been written. I'm happy to see that you do know a very good secret to relaxation, and a perfect way to escape (at least temporarily) from this madness:

"Give me a canoe and let me go...."

And you said nobody would get it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home