Thursday, July 14, 2005

Potty-training advice, please

+Last week Madeline announced that she was, at that very second, "going pee-pee in my diaper". That coupled with the fact that she's been waking up with a dry diaper made me think that I should get on the training bandwagon again. We've had some good days, and some not so good days with it so far.

I decided to put her "Dora" panties on her and let her roam around the house in them. She's been very good about telling me that the "pee-pee is coming" and we race off to the potty. She's had 1.5 accidents. Not bad really. And don't worry I've clorox-wiped our kitchen chairs!!

She went once on the potty at about 1pm after a morning of "mommy the pee pee is coming!". That girl can hold her urine. We immediately rushed to Walmart to buy a Hotwheels scooter (R & L, how much do you want for that one at your house, since Hotwheels appears to not make them anymore?) and a Barbie. She was very happy with her baby barbie and all the miniature toys that came with it... luckily. After all she had been chanting for 2 days on the potty "Push it out! Push it out! WAAY out! I want my scooter, so I'll push it out!" (And yes, I made up all the lame songs she sings to herself on the potty.) The next day she went twice on the potty with no fears and not too much stalling.

However, Sunday night we were having company, she needed to have a bath and as soon as she'd get in there she'd panic and say "mommy the pee pee is coming". So we'd take her out and put her on the potty, but she wouldn't go. We'd put her in the tub, but within seconds she'd say she needed her potty. Finally, she started asking for her diaper (and eventually crying for it). We kept saying, but you're on the potty, that's where you're supposed to pee pee. But after a lot of tears and a very irritated mom and dad, we quickly washed all the dirt out of her hair in the bath and threw on a diaper and sent her to bed.

I just don't know how traumatic this training thing is supposed to be. How much should we push her to pee. At some point we feel that we're being cruel for letting her sit on the potty for an hour, and for the last 20 minutes she's crying about the fact that she needs her pull-up or her diaper. Any thoughts (from those of you who have potty-trained... those of you who have no kids, don't know. You may think you do, but you don't).

However, Madeline's been quite entertaining on the potty.
- For example, she gave her own rousing rendition of The Little Engine That Could's classic "I think I can't!".
- I've learned that she doesn't understand what "why" means:
M - "Mommy, I'm scared of the potty."
D - "You don't need to be scared. Why are you scared?"
M - "Because I'm scared of the potty."
D - "Why are you scared of the potty?"
M - "Because I'm scared."
D - "Why are you scared?"
M - "Because I'm scared of the potty."
D - "Why are you scared of the potty?"
M - "Because I'm scared." ...
- That conversation is the same as the one where she asks for her diaper, and when we ask why, it's because she needs her diaper...
- In fact the picture above was taken of my mom coaching her on the phone, and I think the majority of the words out of Madeline's mouth were "well, I need my diaper", "because I need my diaper", "well, I just need my diaper".
- Mom could also tell that I'd been coaching her a bit too much on the potty when Madeline was babbling to herself in the backseat of my mom's car say "When Andrew and Ben (her cousins) go potty, they just relax and let it come..."

She's doing not bad. She announces every time she pees, which is definitely a step, and sometimes even asks if she's allowed to go in her diaper. So, we'll just take it one step at a time.

5 Comments:

At 5:51 AM, Blogger Linea said...

I remember when I was having a frustrating time potty training my kids (most of whom wet their pants at night till about 10) having a friend tell me her father's saying "You will stop peeing your pants by the time you get married." I always hoped that it would stop a bit before that - and it did.

So my advice is - don't worry about it too much. It will happen in it's own good time. They say that letting kids run around without a diaper is one way to speed things up. But I don't know that it worked that well for me. And we were in a setting where it was quite acceptable to let them run like that.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Lauralea said...

I gave Micah the choice of having his potty training disaster story here as a comment, or written up on my blog!
As you can see, he chose...
I had a friend for whom the "let 'em run without pants" thing worked, so I tried it with Micah when he was almost 3.
Didn't work. He was like a little puppy. Awhile after I had cleaned up his urine from one corner of the living room (which was carpet free, having a rental with lino, and having decided to roll up the area rug while we tried this experiement), I came across a pile of poop in another corner.
I tried not to be discouraged, and I told myself that he'd not wear diapers to kindergarten, and if he did, he'd only do it once.
Happily, all ours are potty trained now. I don't think anyone took longer than age 4. And, come to think of it, it was the boys that took the longest.
By the time Micah came along they had developed "pull-ups", which we introduced to him as "night underwear". We all slept better.
Word of the day for potty training is PATIENCE.
: )

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Lauralea said...

BTW, the HotWheels scooter belongs to Micah. You are welcome to approach him with offers! (he says, "with care")

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger becky said...

Oh, Madeline is going to HATE that photo when she's older! (mwah-hah-hah!)

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm about a week late with this but you know, camp, work, company...the real world is just now returning to me. In fact, the phone just rang and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what it was!
Anyway, I digress...
Regarding the potty training - don't push her, is my advice. An hour on the potty is a bit long. Someone told me to gently pour water over their peri area when you put them on the potty to encourage the urge. It seemed to help with Andrew but wasn't needed with Ben. Encourage any interest she shows in the potty but I wouldn't be stressing about it. As funny as it sounds, they say children can be scared of the potty and peeing/pooping for lots of reasons - I remember thinking that I could seriously fall into the toilet and disappear. Kids don't want to "let go" of their pee/poo - it can be frightening. She's maybe asking for her diaper because it helps her feel secure about an urge that she's just starting to recognize. Just my own thoughts. Like the others all said, it'll happen eventually! Andrew was 3 1/2 - he knew HOW, he just had no interest. But, once he got it, he didn't have an accident. Ben responded to the "one intense week" of training at 2 1/2 with tremendous success and had only a very few accidents. Neither one has been a bed wetter for which I am grateful.

Yeah, I'll do that movie "tag" too. One post at a time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home