Tuesday, June 28, 2005

It always happens on vacation

Yes. I'm alive. We just got back from our 2 week holiday Sunday night. We had a great time. But it always happens on vacation that Marc and I start saying "when we get home we're going to start doing 'x'." I think this trip it was we're going to "keep the house clean" (we always say this every time the house is clean, but it only last about half a day); "take time every evening to relax, read spiritual classics, pray together and separately"; "volunteer with something in the community" (like the Foodbank or a soup kitchen); "go back to the healthy eating we started before the trip"; "exercise consistently" (I might even join Curves for 3 months to get rid of this baby fat once and for all -- until the next baby comes, and Marc has developed some bizarre new snoring habits which I'm convinced are from his excess weight); "get the kids out playing with other kids a bit more".

So, nothing too extreme, just common sense stuff. And on the drive home we felt like we could do these things, and our mind was filled with idealistic images of cozy evenings reading with the kids on our laps while we read to them, having them play at our feet while we sip tea, read and discuss theology, and of course our newly in-shape bodies are sitting on a couch in a house that is spotless.

Well, you know how it goes... The house was clean until we started to unpack, and so I spent the first two days unpacking and trying to find room for the things (though not many) that we bought on the trip. And as I do this I get bogged down with all the crap that is filling our house that I want to get rid of, and my time is spent dealing with all the stuff instead of reading, and after 2 days I'm already too tired to even want to think of going to a gym... plus my two year old is being mouthy instead of playing quietly at my feet while I type this!

But what do I expect? It takes discipline to live the life that you want to live, and you can't expect to have a radical tranformation of every area of your life in the course of a few days. It will take time and patience and the willingness to work on things one at a time. So first we'll deal with Marc's weight...

(just kidding)


(sort of)




(no, I'm really kidding)

2 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Love Mom said...

You just get back and we are leaving for a week. We missed you and will continue to miss you until we get back on the 6th. I'm glad you had a good time. I do want to let you know that I think you typed this straight from my mind because I always feel the same way...Oh well. Miss you like crazy. See you soon.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Randall Friesen said...

Hi Dixie,

missed ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home