Friday, July 15, 2005

I got a (few) poll(s) up my butt (but my brothers have been telling me that for years)

Carl pre-empted me when he said he'd rather describe his cds. I've been planning on doing the book thing for cds and movies for a while, to see if little old me could get something started in blogdom. So here goes:

CDs
Number owned: I'll let Marc count them, but I'd say about 400

Last cd bought: The Isaacs "Bluegrass Preserves" ... good stuff

Recent favourite/new listen: This is hard to answer -- just listened Dixie Chicks "Home" and remembered how much I love it, same with Neil Young "Unplugged". I like the new Coldplay too.

5 cds or artists that are meaningful to you:
(in no particular order)
1) Jane Siberry (Love is Everything, Maria, Teenager, Hush) -- a lot of tears shed over these albums, Teenager is an AMAZING acoustic album
2) KD Lang (Ingenue, Hymns of the 49th Parallel) -- hands down the best concert (for Hymns) I've been to. I could go see her every day.
3) The Gaither Vocal Band (all albums from 1996 to 1999) -- those of you who know me understand why.
4) Bruce Cockburn (Breakfast in New Orleans, Dinner in Timbuktu; Charity of Night) -- reminds me of pining for Marc when he was out treeplanting
5) Steve Bell (Waiting for Aidan, Sons & Daughters, Burning Ember) -- for being Christian music that Marc and I both actually like

Let's play tag:
1) Marc V.
2) Randall
3) Linea L.
4) b-1
5) Carl


Movies
Number owned: didn't count either, but I'd say 200

Last movie bought: The Corporation (excellent documentary previously-viewed at Blockbuster) -- I'm not going to count my Dora the Explorer purchase here

Last movie watched at home: Bend it Like Beckham

Last movie watched at the theatre: Mr. & Mrs. Smith

5 movies that are meaningful to you:

1) The Sound of Music -- has to be #1 b/c I'd watched a few times a day with my granny when I was a kid (not bad for a 3.5 hour movie!)
2) A & E's Pride & Prejudice -- so good (I could watch it over and over, and it's about 6 hours!!)
3) Schindler's List -- made a big impact on me in high school
4) The Christopher Guest collection: Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind (funny, funny movies to watch again and again)
5) Dancer in the Dark (starring Bjork, good -- strange -- music, a bit of the Sound of Music, and an amazingly sad story, make this a must-see -- if you don't mind crying for an hour)

Let's play tag:
1) Becky
2) Lauralea
3) sil-1
4) Marc, again
5) b-in-law Andrew
5b) Carl

And, remember, if you don't have your own blog, do your answers in Comments.
Happy tagging.

8 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

# OWNED: 700

Last Bought: Dream Theater- Octavarium

Recent Fave/New Listen: DT-8V, SW-Revenge of the Sith sndtrk(buy it for the end track alone)

5 CD's or ARTISTS...
1. Dream Theater- their entire catalog from '94 on. Heavy on the prog AND the heavy.
2. Bela Fleck & the Flecktones- Banjo-led jazz group. Learned more about putting trad. world instruments where they don't belong, and having fun, than any other group I've ever listened to.
3. Dixie Dregs/Steve Morse band- 2 groups. Led/written/orchestrated by the same guy. Classical turnarounds in the country tunes, banjo licks in the classical tunes. And then there's the rock stuff...
4. U2-HTDAAB - I haven't been a fan for a longtime, but a watcher. They're just getting started(again) with this album. Reckless abandon as only well-aged craft can produce.
5. Sting - Utmost respect for various cultures and musicality. He's willing to ignore pop 'rules' and do whatever he darn well likes. In a pop setting. EVERYONE..THUMBS ON NOSES, and..
(6. Had to include the LOTR sndtrks by Howard Shore. Subtlety and dichotomy abound. As do darkness and mass.)

My list of desert island albums grows as I continually remember key albums in my musical formation. Maybe those are different lists. As I remember these key albums, they make perfect sense with what I enjoy now, and WHY I enjoy it.

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CDs and Vinyl owned: ~200

Last CD I bought: This song is a mess, but so am I - "Church Point, LA"

Recently discovered: Clap your hands say yeah! and the National

5 artists/groups/ensembles that are important to me:

1. Pavement (Slanted and Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain are two of the greatest albums ever.)

2. Mogwai (Superheros of BMX is my favourite song ever. Scottish Guitar Army.)

3. Cat Power (Chan Marshall est trés belle.)

4. The Rachel's (The song Frida Kahlo makes me want to cry when I hear it.)

5. Xiu Xiu (Apistat Commander is my other favourite song ever. Jamie Stewart gives a very intense live show. Their instrumentation is amazing. Very Henry Cowell.)

I'll be doing a radio show this Sunday 12am-5am (CST) on CKCU in Ottawa. (www.ckcufm.com)

I'm a little hurt I wasn't tagged for movies, but I'll forgive you Dixie.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Dixie Vandersluys said...

Carl, you must not have read all the way through! Look again. :)

Consider yourself tagged.

I just needed to tag lots of people with blogs to get it out on the www.

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm not a movie watcher... Number owned - 40-50
Last movie bought - 3 of the "Herbie" classics
Last movie watched at home - Finding Neverland
Last movie watched at the theatre - Herbie, Fully Loaded
5 Movies meaningful to you - hmm, meaningful? I really only watch happy movies that will give me a lift so I guess that's my own version of "Meaningful"?
1. You've Got Mail - a genuine "feel good, laugh a little, happy ending" romantic comedy
2. Elf - "laugh out loud ridiculous silliness"; watched it 4-5 times this Christmas alone.
3. Oceans' Eleven AND Twelve - adventurous, unpredictable plot, great collection of actors and lines. Loved it. (er, them)
4. The Lord Of The Rings trilogy - hits my meaningful list partly because I'm just pleased with myself that I've watched them all and actually came to understand them. Watched them to favor my hubby. Glad I did. Enjoyed the story (once I understood it) and am completely fascinated by the making of it. It's a community - the making of plus the enjoying of the movie - and that always intrigues me. A classic movie that I am very glad to be familiar with.
5. Anne of Green Gables - a childhood favorite.

Addition to the list - Must-own TV series - MASH - bittersweet comedy - makes me laugh, makes me cry. Can't watch it often enough.

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you ever get the chance to watch, or better yet, own, BARAKA,its definately worth it! I can't say enough about it. Tops the list as the all time best film I have ever seen. Very profound and moving - kind of a documentary, but you'd have to see it to understand why I say "kind of". FABULOUS!!!!!!!!

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may sound like an idiot here, but can someone PLEASE explain the "tagging" process and what it means, to me..............??

 
At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you've been "tagged", you're expected to come up with your version of the list in question.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Dixie Vandersluys said...

Raven, you were tagged on my book list and you could theoretically "tag" 5 other people who read my blog and/or who have their own blogs. I was at the end of the book list, so I had to tag my readers, who I'm pretty sure don't have their own blogs. But the point of it is for it to keep going and going throughout blogdom. So feel free to tag some friends by putting their names as a comment in my "book" post, and then tell them to come to my site and find out what it's all about. Hey, it'll get me more readership too!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home