Friday, June 10, 2005

I'm sorry.

Madeline just got up from her nap a few minutes ago. She was sitting on my lap on her bed and out of the blue turned to me and said to me "Don't you want to say sorry for getting mad at me?" I thought I had misunderstood her and said "Do you want to say sorry?", to which she replied "No. Do you?!"

Well, how could you say no. So I said I was sorry for getting mad at her (it had been a bit of a "struggle" to get her to go to sleep today"), but I quickly made
her say "I'm sorry for not listening to you, mommy."

I'm not that much of a pushover. And we all need to recognize our mistakes sometimes in front of our kids.

2 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I am frustrated with Cailyn for one reason or another, she says, "But I still love you." That one is a hartbreaker...

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Lauralea said...

My best "Say you're sorry" story is on Johanna... she was maybe 3. I don't remember what she did, but the punishment was exile to the basement until she was sorry. It wasn't a very exciting place to hang out. She was down there for a fairly short time when I heard her little feet come pattering up the stairs. She announced... "I'm sorry." I was shot with inspiration, and informed her that she had to say "I'm sorry, I was wrong." My proud little twerp just looked at me, turned on her heel, and proceded to march back down the stairs, slamming the door as she went! It has often proved too easy to just "say sorry". Much more humbling to admit you were wrong.

I am also a believer in apologizing to your kids. It's good for them to know that YOU know that you make mistakes too. I think it's freeing for everyone. They already know we're not perfect!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home