Friday, August 12, 2005

Five Years Ago Today: A Wedding Retrospective

On August 12, 2000, Marc and I said "I do". And we've been saying "I don't" ever since. Ba-dum chuu. Aah, that old chestnut... But really, five years ago today I married an awfully handsome 22 year-old, who wiped his nose throughout our entire wedding ceremony, and who was, undoubtedly, my best friend and the perfect fit for my lifelong companion.

So today I thought I would share with you some of the great memories from that day that made it, unquestionably, Marc and Dixie's wedding. (Apologies for the poor quality pictures. But after all, this was five years ago, and picture technology wasn't quite what it is today.)

Five years ago today... we looked something like this:




















Five years ago today... the uncle who married us said "Marc, you may salute your bride"... and he did:










Five years ago today... we thought it would be a good idea to pose like this:
















Five years ago today... the rear-facing third seat of my parent's '84 Caprice Classic wood-panelled station wagon was our wedding car:












Five years ago today... we got our pictures taken at PA's Court House where there are beautiful big trees, stairs and pillars, but the photographer thought that this brick wall was, perhaps, the nicest spot for family pictures:













Five years ago today... we deliberately danced like idiots to a Queen song into our reception:




















Five years ago today... we asked people to pay to get us to kiss, and then gave them way more than their $10 should have got:
















Five years ago today... I got a tear in my veil because of a very emotional moment in Marc's dad's speech (but it was worth it!!):


















Five years ago today... we sang and played "When I'm 64" and proceeded to do an impromptu lounge singer bit, at the end of which Marc said "Thank you. We'll be here all week.":















Five years ago today... I cried so much during our "thank-yous" that all you can hear on the videotape is a series of high pitched noises and squeaks between phrases like "Mom and... squeek, squeak, squeak... dad" and "And to my sob, sob, sob bridesmaids...":
















Five years ago today... we made a mockery of the cake-feeding tradition:

















Five years ago today... we took off to Saskatoon, where Marc read the "how-to you know what" chapter of our Christian marriage book while I was getting ready in the bathroom in our hotel room(!!):




















(But now I'll stop because that's already too much information!)

It was a wonderful day. And even though today, 5 years later, we collectively weigh at least 50 pounds more than we did then, we have 2 kids (that together weigh 50+ pounds) to love and raise together. And even though today we've had many arguments about countless things -- both reasonable and unreasonable, we know each other better and have forgiven enough to know that nothing will ever break our love. And even though today we're still as uncertain about "what we're going to do when we grow up", now we know that even when we've been married 50 years we won't be done growing up. And even though today we won't be wearing $400 outfits and saying "I do" in front of all of our family and friends, I can say right now to all of cyberspace that I love you, Marc, so much more today than I did on that day, you've made my life unmeasurably blessed, and you mean the world to me.

9 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Marc and Dixie ! I'll look forward to the 10-year entry (complete with a weight update).

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger becky said...

What a great post! I loved looking at y'alls pictures, too. You are both nuts, but I love it.

See you tomorrow, car-willing?

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Linea said...

May your love last and grow and grow. Happy Anniversary.

I love your pictures - pictures have come a long way in the last 5 years, but there's no picture like that mouth picture!

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Love Mom said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, GUYS!!!! We love you SO very much. Wish you all the best.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw, you two are so cute! nice post. that was fun. and, CONGRATS!

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post! I remember it like it was yesterday... I even quoted some Hauerwas in my speech. Happy Anniversary Marc & Dixie.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Beautiful...thank you for bringing me down memory lane to my own wedding anniversary 8 years ago.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at that wedding... Had a great time. My day today ain't a that exciting. I have to check out a blogspot just to get my juices flowing. But if I'm gonna check one out, it ought to be yours.
Saw the article in the SP today and thought, "I'm gonna check out old Dixie doodles page"
Well now I'm a big fan. But then me and Mav have always been 2 of your biggest fans.
As for anniversaries, Mav and i celebrate 24 on Monday (29th)
We are no longer in 'Toon town. We are pastoring a little church in Canora Sk. That's just an hour south of where Ryan and Michelle were. Saw her, by the way, in Yorkton this spring. They were leading an "Absolut" gang and are doin great.
Glad to see you and yours are to.
Give our love to Mo & Dean, M&D, and anybody else you can think of.
You still rock, Dix
Luv Brett

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dixie,

Congratulations on your anniversary. I am getting married on Sat which has come so quickly.
I saw your picture in the paper so I thought I would check out your site. Very cool
Anyways take care and have a good day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home