Friday, August 12, 2005

Pyjamas and Poked Out Eyes (and one more thing)

This morning while I was trying to go back to sleep after Marc got up, Madeline came running into our bedroom yelling joyfully, as she does every morning, "Mommy! Get up! The sun is up!" (I keep telling her that it doesn't matter when the sun goes up or down -- we sleep when it is up in the summer and are awake when it goes down in the winter. She keeps saying that she doesn't want me to "put her to bed right after supper" in the winter, but she still doesn't quite get it.)

So I was half asleep when she said she wanted to take her pyjamas off and, as she was struggling to get her arm out, I asked if she wanted my help. She did. So with my eyes half closed I reached out for her arm, but instead poked her in the eye. This is what followed:

"Mommy!! You poked out my eye! (and very dramatically added) I can't SEE anymore!!!! (with a few boo hoos for good measure)

After I was sure she could indeed see, I helped her get her shirt off. Then she asked if I would help her with her pants but first added:

"Don't grab my eye, okay?!"

Oh, and one more thing:

Madeline just asked to watch a show. First it was going to be Penguins (a reward for her just acting out 5 minutes of the dialogue for me), then when I couldn't find it I asked if she wanted to watch my $2.99 special of Dr. Seuss' "The Lorax", which is from the 1960s (there's something sweet but strange about my daughter singing "Grickle grass, grickle grass, somebody lifted the Lorax away..." from this very environmentally conscious story).

Anyway, the reason why I really let her watch her show was this: I told her she couldn't watch a show. She whined and said she needed to watch a show. I said no. More whining. I told her, "you'll live". She said "I don't want to live". Now this was shocking to me, made me sad... but then I remembered, she is just 2.5 and probably doesn't know what "live" means. Until she said:

"I want to live with my show."

1 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger polarpegs said...

Don't you just hate it when someone loses an eye while putting on pants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home