Friday, August 26, 2005

She's a good kid.

It's amazing the way two year olds play on your emotions. One minute there's screaming, the next smiles from ear to ear... and that's just the parents.

I've been sick most of this week. As a result I've needed to have a nap of my own after lunch while the kids sleep. Because of the sickness and the tiredness I've been a little (read: a lot) short tempered with the kids. It's like they know the exact moment that you don't want to be bothered, and then they bother you then. (Like when Marc wants to read me a portion of a book, that is Luke's cue, even if he's been quiet for a half an hour, to start making strange, screechy, raptor-like noises. Or this morning I sat for half an hour eating my breakfast and waiting for Marc to finish on the computer, and as soon as I got the computer, Luke needed to start crying, Madeline had to sit on my lap, and when she got off, she had to start bringing me five face cloths to hold for her.) So, I was ready for bed because of sickness and irritation every day after lunch this week.

Then, here comes the motherly guilt. I'm frustrated with Madeline for most of the morning, and what does she do, but say "Mommy, I'm going to tuck you in." So she grabs my leg (her version of "carrying me" to my bed) and takes me to my bedroom. She tells me to lay down and then pulls up the blankets so I'm nice and cozy (actually, only she could touch the blankets, which was kind of irritating, but anyway...). Then she proceeds to tell me a "story elk". (She's been obsessed with elk every since she saw one in the mountains when she was 16 months old. Since that time, we've had to tell her a "story elk"-- about "Princess Madeline" and her friend the elk -- every night before bed.) This is how the story went (I kid you not):

"One day Madeline and the elk were walking through the forest. When all of a sudden... a tree fell over! Then they picked it up and danced all around it. Then they all played a game... and it started to rain. There was a BIG storm! The thunder crashed. Dash! (eyes go big and hands flash out) Then all of a sudden there was a big fire!!! ... AND IT BURNS!!! AND IT BURNS!!! AND... IT...BUUURRRNNNSSSSSS....!!!!!! (Spoken calmly and happily) Then they walked back to the castle and Madeline told her mommy and daddy all about it. And she crawled into her bed and said 'Dear Jesus, Thank you for this day. Bless this to our bodies. In Jesus' name. Amen.' "

Then she said "good night, mommy" and walked to her bedroom and had her nap.

She's a good kid.

2 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger Linea said...

Kids seem to teach us a lot about patience - even when we have lost it pretty much. They do seem to choose our weak moments to need us most. Or at least to demand the most attention. Maybe our weak moments make them feel insecure too causing them to act out their own needs.

And then they go and do those little love things that are so sweet and rewarding. Makes a mom just love being a mom sometimes.

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Love Mom said...

Aaaaaaaawwwwwwww....
enough said.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home